Asking the Hard Questions: How to Effectively Assess for and Provide Brief Interventions for Substance Use/Abuse, Risky Behaviors, and Mental Health Concerns in Adolescents
Apr 17, 2023
12:30 pm–1:30 pm
Objectives: At the conclusion of the session, the participants should be able to:
• Practice basic screening procedures for sensitive topics such as alcohol/drug use, intimate partner violence, suicidal ideation/mental health concerns and sexual behaviors.
• Identify factors that affect the reliability and validity of patient self-report when asked about sensitive topics
• Identify and practice specific communication techniques that increase the reliability and validity of patient self-report.
• Identify basic interventions for youth’s health-related social problems.
• Describe the importance of confidentiality when working with adolescents and young adult patients